Welcome to Noel & Jackie's blog, where the main goal is to keep you informed about where we are and what we've been doing. (Click a photo to view full-size; use your Back button to return to Blog. Updates subject to internet access while on the road.)

Saturday, March 29, 2008

North to Loreto

There is not much for the blog reader today. But since I try to journal everyday, I can tell you that I spent an hour or so downloading Skype software, only to find that the microphone on my ibook is not working! Then spent some time trying to help Sarah find out where to refill a prescription. Finally on the road around 10:30, I had an uneventful drive back to the Rivera del Mar RV Park in Loreto.
One of the eye-catching sights in Mexico are the roadside shrines. In the States, these are often a cross, adorned with flowers, usually at the site of a traffic fatality. Mexico has these, also. But often a small shrine is built, with a photo, or statue, of Mary. Although only 2 or 3 feet tall, these can be elaborate. Then there are the “over-achievers”, as shown in the photo. This one had no signage, but usually they do have a sign remembering the one who died nearby. But sometimes these are also ‘thanksgiving’ shrines, fulfillment of a promise made during a prayer like, “If I get through this, I’ll build you a shrine!”
The road today alternated between farm country and mountains. I didn’t take a farm photos, but here’s one of the Sierra Giganta just south of Loreto.

1 comment:

Alex said...

About your Ibook Microphone... check your settings in the sound panel in System Preferences... It is possible that it is set to the wrong input.

Blog Archive